Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Keeping Mandarin Ducks

Well since nothing is really going on over here today I figure I'll do a little preaching,

The mandarin duck one of the most beautiful ducks in my opinion, I'm so glad to have them here. I love the maroon color and the little sails that stick out of their back. They almost look like some kind of paper duck that some oriental store would sell. Since they are tree ducks there is no need to have a hugItalice pond like you have to have for mallards and teals. They are actually closely related to the american wood duck, another one of my favorites. So anyways with that being said they are pretty clean and easy to care for. I feed mine game bird feed of the highest quality. Many people who have these wonderful little birds say they are not rare, true they are not. But neither was the passenger pigeon, or the health hen, I bet those hungry colonists though the happy little health hen which is a grouse by the way would never be extinct, well guess what?! sadly for them it did, needless to say no more health hens. I think it is important to keep and breed the mandarin duck since, like the wood duck are going extinct in the wild. That means it's only a matter of time before restrictions are put to prevent the export of birds, and that mean that our captive stock is all we'll have left. The numbers in captivity are healthy but there is a lot of inbreeding going on with this species. Now don't get me started with this whole inbreeding thing! I'll write about that another day, but for now it is important that we practice responsible breeding and keeping. I strongly encourage anyone who likes little water birds to keep the species, they are such a joy to have. They have two qualities I like in a bird, they are inexpensive and beautiful. They are also great for urban dwellers as they can really add color to any fish pond. So be sure to get some.

No comments:

Post a Comment